Full details of the project, currently being managed by Mount Wellington Cableway Company Chair, were released at the start of August this year, and over 8000 people have provided feedback.
Jude Franks, Mount Wellington Cableway Company Chair, said: “Some 80% of feedback forms received were overwhelmingly supportive of our detailed proposal.”
“It was also heartening that many in the community who said that they had previously disliked or were undecided about the project concept felt more comfortable once they had seen the full detail,” Franks added.
“This significant shift towards even more people favouring the project was quite a recurring theme across the more than 8000 feedback forms received.
“It is fair to say some of the feedback was from people who remain opposed to the project.
MWCC has said it will consider the feedback before lodging the development application.
The company has a target opening date of November 1 2021. If given the go-ahead, the system would include three towers and two trams secured by three cables, featuring an outdoor balcony and floor-to-ceiling glass. Maximum capacity would be 1300 people per hour.
The project has been criticised by some local residents for a lack of transparency and potentially leading to overcrowding on Mount Wellington’s summit.
Read the article online at: https://www.mountaintechnologymagazine.com/mountain-tourism/04102018/feedback-on-tasmania-cable-car-project-closes/